Saturday, March 12, 2011

How Granny did it with less


I stumbled across this article from Chatelaine magazine: Nine Money Tips from Grandma.
"Your grandparents took a common sense approach to managing their money.  Our money columist offers nine time-worn tips for living within your means"

I'm not sure than any of these tips would make a difference in my life -- but I enjoyed the read, and the nostalgic trip.  However, it did get me thinking about what we CAN do in our more modern times to cope with limited income.

Spring is around the corner, and that means garage sale season!  Check kijiji, as people often advertise their garage sales here.  And look for "neighbourhood" and "street sales" to save time and transportation.  And don't be afraid to bargain. If the owner wants 50 cents for an item, go ahead and ask "would you take a quarter for it?" 

Thrift stores: Value Village, Talize, and Goodwill -- yes, all way over priced!  But, about once a season, there is a half-price sale.  This is the BEST time to go if you are looking for bigger ticket items, like a coat. 

Free stuff: take a daily scan of Smart Canucks. You can often pick up tips on where to find free and nearly free specials.  Just this week, I bought 10 packages of Advil for just the taxes. (On sale at Shoppers Drug Mart for $3.99, and there was a pad of $4 off coupons hanging right there!) My linen closet is full of hygiene products that I got for free - shampoo, body wash, shaving cream, razors, deodorant.  In fact, I get soooo much, I donate a lot to the Food Bank and two shelters. Don't believe me?  Click on the "brag" tab on the Smart Canucks website, and see what other smart shoppers are doing.