Saturday, May 7, 2011

What the????

I spent this week in denial about the election.  I'm stunned.  'nuff said.

So, not much changed locally, with the exception of conservative Susan Truppe narrowly taking Glen Pearson's riding.

Mr. Pearson reflects on this in his blog: The Parallel Parliament.

A hightlight from his May 6th post:

"But the truth is I was never comfortable in politics. I have the instincts of a public servant, not those of a partisan politician. The House no longer functions well and a government found in contempt of that place now has a majority mandate – things are deeply dysfunctional, both in the House and among the citizenry."

As part of a community of anti-poverty activists, I recognize that the Harper government may slow any progress towards closing the gap between the rich and the poor.  But, the work continues.